Subjects to Avoid on HubPages
Subjects We Celebrate
While there are a small handful of subjects that we restrict, discourage, and do not allow on HubPages, there are countless subjects that we do encourage you to cover.
For inspiration (and to get an idea of the extensive breadth of topics on HubPages), check out our complete list of Topics.
Stray Away from These Subjects!
While HubPages is a platform on which we encourage you to write informative, in-depth, media rich articles on a wide variety of subjects, some subjects are not appropriate for our site, its visitors, and our community.
There are three classifications of subjects that you will want to avoid on HubPages:
- Restricted content areas
- Subjects that are not ad safe
- Subjects that run against our publishing standards
To avoid these zones-to-be-avoided, discover their parameters below.
Restricted Content Areas
Restricted content areas on HubPages revolve around subjects that:
- Are already extensively covered online
- Are commonly associated with spam
- Are commonly associated with dubious offers
Even if you are writing a genuine, honest article on a subject within our restricted content areas, it will have lower odds of success as it is covering a subject that is already flooded with competition.
Avoid these 'Crowded' Subject Areas
To fight spam on our site and dissuade good Hubbers from wasting their time writing Hubs on over-saturated commonly-spammy subjects, we:
- Require that Hubs written on subjects within restricted content areas be of exceptionally high quality (around an eight or above on our quality rating scale)
- Do not allow affiliate links to be included in Hubs covering these subjects
Our restricted content areas most commonly cover subjects on health and weight loss, dubious online activities, money, affiliate programs, and relationships.
Enough with the Acai Berries!
Restricted Content Areas Related to Health
The following health-related subjects fall under our restricted content areas:
- Acai berry
- Weight loss supplements
- Six pack abs
- Fat burning furnace
- Man boobs
- Male sexual health
Again, it is OK to write Hubs on these subjects, but if you do, they must be exceptionally good, and they cannot contain any affiliate links. Also remember that if you write Hubs on these subjects, they have very low odds of ranking well in search engine results or seeing much, if any, success.
We Don't Want to Read Another Hub About Mail Order Brides
Restricted Content Areas Related to Relationships
The following relationship-related subjects fall into our restricted content areas:
- Getting your ex back
- Mail order brides
Restricted Content Areas Related to Dubious Online Activities
We recommend avoiding the following subjects related to online activities:
- Free downloads
- Watching TV on your PC
- Reverse lookup
Restricted Content Areas Related to Finance
The following subject areas regarding finance are restricted on HubPages:
- Getting out of debt
- Payday loans
- Paid online surveys
Restricted Content Areas Related to Affiliate Programs
All Hubs on sketchy affiliate programs fall under our restricted content areas
Subjects that Are Not Ad Safe
Put yourself in the shoes of an advertiser. Would you want your brand to be associated with domestic violence? How about self harm or illegal drugs?
Chances are you are shaking your head. Rest assured, you are in good company. Most ad networks have rules about the type of content on which their clients' ads can be presented, and this is most certainly the case with our ad partners.
For this reason, we may disable ads (based on automated filters or moderator review) on Hubs that address the following subjects:
- Adult subjects: This includes Hubs discussing things like prostitution and abortion
- Sexual subjects: This includes Hubs containing descriptions of sexual acts or body parts
- Content about drugs
- Content about self harm
- Content about violence: This includes Hubs touching on domestic violence and hate crimes
So long as a Hub you write on one of these subjects also meets our publishing standards (note that Hubs that are adult, mature, and addressing illegal drugs do not), the Hub may remain published. Just bear in mind that the Hub will not make you any money.
Don't Scare Away the Advertisers!
Were ads disabled on your Hub by mistake?
If ads on your Hub were disabled by automatic content filters and your Hub does not meet one of our descriptions for content that is not ad safe, please contact our support team.
Avoid the "Red Flag" Subjects Below!
Subjects that Violate HubPages' Publishing Standards
In addition to having subjects that come with restrictions or lead to ads being disabled, HubPages has subjects that simply are not allowed. No matter what, Hubs on the following subjects will be unpublished.
For more information on the publishing standards related to each of these subjects, click through to their descriptions on our guide to amending moderated Hubs.
Avoid These Subjects Like the Plague!
- A Subject that Includes a Dubious Offer: Dubious offers are not permitted on HubPages
- Purely Personal Subjects: Hubs must provide something of value to potential audience members who do not already know and care about you
- Hubs on Adult Subjects: We do not allow sexually explicit content on HubPages
- Hubs on Mature Subjects: Violent or gruesome content is not allowed on the site
- Hubs that Promote Gambling, or Alcohol, Tobacco, or Weapons Sales: We cannot allow Hubs that promote gambling or the sale of alcohol, tobacco, and weapons
- Subjects that Bring Up Legal Issues: Subjects that involve defamation, the exposure of trade secrets, or other illegal activity cannot be published on HubPages
- Subjects That Could Be Considered to be Personal Attacks or Hate Speech: Neither personal attacks nor hate speech are allowed on HubPages
More by this Author
A guide to the various reasons why Hubs are moderated (unpublished by staff), complete with tips on amending Hubs that have been moderated and need revision.
Online writing style guide and helpful tips to create a consistent, professional Hub.
The Quality Assessment Process determines which of these Hubs end up being showcased on Hubs and Topic Pages and made available to search engines. These Hubs are known as Featured Hubs.