What to Do if Your Hub is Moderated
A Guide to Moderation on HubPages
This guide covers:
What was your initial reaction when you first discovered that one of your Hubs had been moderated?
Why Does HubPages Have Strict Publishing Standards?
Our publishing standards exist to:
- Prevent spam from being published on the site
- Make it possible for Hubbers to continue to earn from ads on the pages they publish
- Prevent Hubbers and HubPages from being subject to legal action
- Ensure that HubPages has a good reputation amongst online readers
- Ensure that Hubs published on the site, whether or not they are Featured, adhere to some basic quality standards
We do NOT moderate Hubs
- To spite you
- Because we do not like you
- Because we do not like your content
- Because we are part of a massive alien conspiracy bent on subordinating the human race
What Happens When Hubs are Moderated
The Process of Hub Moderation
The process a Hub goes through when it is moderated is as follows:
- A Hubber, reader, or automated bot sees a Hub that does not meet site standards, and flags it
- A moderator reviewing flagged Hubs confirms that the Hub does not meet HubPages publishing standards, unpublishes it, and sends its author an email explaining what needs to be changed (alternately, a moderator might just send a warning email- this is frequently the case with Hubs that are poorly-structured, have been put in the wrong Topic, contain pixelated or watermarked image issues, or feature unrelated links)
- The author gets the email, and at his or her leisure, may revise the unpublished Hub
- When he or she is finished revising his/her Hub, it can be submitted for publication
- The Hub is reviewed by a moderator and so long as the requested changes are made (and the Hub meets all other HubPages publishing standards), the Hub is republished
Everyone- from the CEO of HubPages to HubPages' newest authors- goes through the exact same process when a Hub is moderated. It is nothing to worry about, and leads, ultimately, to a better Hub!
"You did WHAT to my Hub?"
What to Do When Your Hub is Moderated
- Do not panic
- Read the email that has been sent to your account explaining why your Hub was moderated as well as any warning messages that appear on your Hub
- Actually read those messages
- Seriously, read them
- Remember that we are here to help you; we are not angry with you and you are not in trouble; there is simply a bit of editing that needs to be done so that your work can be published on HubPages.com
- Look at your Hub objectively and ask yourself: "What within the body of this Hub fits the description of the publishing standard violation?"
- Remove content that fits the description of the violation leading to your Hub's moderation
- When you are ready to have HubPages review your Hub, click the "Submit for Publication" button (Please remember, Hubs without substantial improvement will not be republished, and we will be monitoring any changes made to Hubs after republication)
- We will review your Hub and, if appropriate, republish it (This process can take up to 72 hours)
- If your Hub is republished, you will receive an email letting you know
Let's Get This Hub Off the Ground!
Still having trouble?
Should you be having a difficult time finding exactly what within your Hub has lead to moderation, please visit our exhaustive Hub moderation guide, which includes additional troubleshooting tips.
You'll get through this! Just try to be as patient, open-minded, and as objective as possible, and your Hub's moderation can be resolved with minimal waste and discomfort.
How to Prevent Your Hub from Being Moderated in the First Place
The easiest way to prevent your Hubs from being moderated involves familiarizing yourself with the various reasons why Hubs may be moderated.
You can also catch some potential problems before they lead to moderator action by checking for potential violations.
How to Check Your Hubs for Violations
Checking to make sure that your Hubs meet site standards is easy:
- Visit My Account (the main page of My Account is your stats page, this is where you will find the tool)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page
- Click the "Check fo Violations Now" button
- Wait for your Hubs to be processed
- Refresh your page and check for any Hubs with skull icons listed next to them
Click the "Check for Violations" button at the bottom of your My Account page
Wait as the tool processes your Hubs
Refresh your page
The skull would appear to the right of your Hubs, in the same place of these rising traffic, ads d
More on the Violation Checking Process
Will checking my Hubs for Violations alert moderators of any Hubs that need to be moderated?
This check is entirely private, so by checking your Hubs for violations, you are not alerting moderators about Hubs that need revision. That said, published Hubs that do not meet site standards may be moderated at any time.
What do I do when I see a skull icon next to one of my Hubs after I run the check?
Go into edit mode for that Hub. You will find warnings near the top that will inform you what needs to be amended so that your Hub may meet HubPages publishing standards.
How long will it take to process my Hubs?
The processing time for this tool depends on the number of people who are presently using it. If a bunch of Hubbers have just asked for their Hubs to be processed, there will be a longer processing time. It should take, on average, about five minutes for your Hubs to be processed. When you click the "Check for Violations Now" button, you will be given an estimate of how long the check will take.
I ran the check and none of my Hubs came up as having violations. Does that mean that none of them will ever be moderated?
This violation checking tool can only check so much about a Hub, and not all of our site publishing standards can be measured by automated systems. For this reason, a human Hubber may still flag one of your Hubs and a HubPages moderator may still moderate it for violations that cannot be detected by this feature.