How to Sign Up for Google AdSense on HubPages
Google AdSense & HubPages
If you don't have a Google AdSense account yet, now is the time. The signup process is simple, and it's the only way that you can earn from non-Amazon ads on your Hubs.
In this guide, we will:
How Google AdSense Works
Google AdSense is an ad-serving program run by Google which offers a primarily PPC (Pay Per Click) revenue model, meaning that every time an ad gets clicked, you or HubPages (and Google) make money.
Where does the money come from?
The money generated from clicks on your Hubs comes from Advertisers. Advertisers use Google's AdWords program to set up ad campaigns for their products or services (which are where the ads you see on HubPages and many other websites come from).
Advertisers narrow down their target audience by picking keywords. These keywords are what Google AdSense uses to choose the types of pages that are the right fit for each ad. This process is known as "contextual advertising," and it is one of the main reasons why Google AdSense works so well. Google also takes the geographical location of the reader into account. That way a dentist in Dallas can have her ads showing only to readers in the Dallas area. It's a much more effective way to reach one's audience than the shotgun approach to online advertising that was the norm before Google AdSense rode into town.
To read more about Google's methods for targeting ads, check out their FAQ entry on the subject.
The HubPages Ad Program
Google AdSense is also a requirement when signing up for HubPages' Ad Program. For more information on the Ad Program, see our Learning Center guide on the topic.
How Do I Sign Up for Google AdSense?
Google AdSense has made the application process very simple. We recommend that all Hubbers sign up for Google AdSense by going to My Account > Earnings > Settings and clicking on the "get started" button. If you don't sign up, HubPages can't split impressions with you and you can't be paid for your share of the clicks on your Hubs!
There are two scenarios for signing-up for Google AdSense: you already have a Google AdSense account or you're a new Google AdSense member. Both signup instructions are described below.
My Account > Earnings > Settings
I Already Have a Google AdSense Publisher ID
If you already have a Google AdSense Publisher ID, adding it to HubPages is super easy.
- While signed-in to HubPages, go to My Account > Earnings > Settings
- Click the "get started" button next to Google AdSense
- Check the "yes" radio button after the question: "Do you already have a Google AdSense Account?"
- Click "Next". You will be asked to sign in to or select the Google Account that is associated with your existing Google AdSense account. Then you will be asked for your permission for HubPages to access your Google AdSense account information.
If you don't yet have an AdSense ID, you'll find instructions for signing up below.
WAIT! Before You Sign Up...
... We recommend publishing at least 10 high-quality Hubs (entirely original and filled with useful, well-formatted information, containing at least 1,000 words and at least two images) before signing up for AdSense. It can also be a good idea to wait until your oldest Hub is at least one month old before applying.
We have found that most Hubbers who are declined for having insufficient content often have not yet met these minimums.
This is not to say that you have to have ten superb Hubs and an account that is at least one month old to be accepted into the program, but if you want to play it safe, it is a good goal!
I Need to Sign Up for Google AdSense
If you don't already have a Google AdSense Publisher ID, you can apply for one after you've published some quality Hubs. For certain countries your account must also be established for at least 6 months before you will be approved (view all specific eligibility requirements).
Google is selective in who they approve, so to maximize your chance of acceptance, please be sure that your presence on HubPages includes substantial original content (we recommend at least 10-15 in-depth Hubs) before you apply; quality is more important than quantity. It is also a good idea to have a completed user profile and profile image uploaded. To apply for a Google AdSense account:
- While signed in to HubPages, go to My Account > Earnings > Settings
- Click the "get started" button next to Google AdSense in the External Affiliate Settings section
- Check the "no" option after the question: "Do you already have a Google AdSense Account?" (if you have fewer than 10 Hubs, you will see a warning telling you it is best to wait until you have sufficient content)
- If you are ready to apply, click "next"
- You will be taken to AdSense's signup flow, which takes place on their site (and is out of HubPages' control)
- You will start by selecting the Google Account to which you would like to add your AdSense account and continue through Google's signup flow (which is subject to change over time), entering any information they might request
- Once you have begun the setup process, Google will send you an email requesting a bit more information from you to get your Google AdSense account set up. In that email you will be asked to click a link to finish setting up your Google AdSense account
- Upon completion, you will be taken to the Affiliate Settings page. Here you can enter your affiliate account codes
What if I Get Declined for Not Having Enough Content?
In some cases, AdSense will decline your application because you do not yet have enough content. As they explain on their help page:
The most common reason why we disapprove applications is because the website lacked a sufficient amount of original, useful content. If you can develop your website to a point where it has a significant amount of high-quality content, then you will maximize your chances of acceptance into the AdSense program. Bear in mind that we may review all pages where you implement ad code, not just the URL you specified in the sign-up form. Check our tips to make sure that your application will be approved.
Though we cannot give you specific guidelines regarding how long you should wait before re-applying, we recommend publishing as many high-quality Hubs as you can before making another attempt. We have found that making multiple attempts over a short period of time may decrease your chances of being accepted.
How Much is Enough?
Based on anecdotal stories from Hubbers, it is a good idea to have the following things before applying for AdSense:
- A finished Profile (polished bio and high-quality profile photo)
- At least 10 Featured Hubs sharing high-quality, original content
- A first Featured Hub that is at least one month old
Hubbers from some countries also have to demonstrate high-quality online activity (i.e. publish high-quality Hubs) for at least six months before AdSense will accept their applications.
The HubPages Earnings Program and Amazon
You're on a roll! Now that you've signed up for Google AdSense, the next step is to sign up for the HubPages Earnings Program, if you haven't already, (which includes the Ad Program) and Amazon. See our Learning Center guides for more information, and if you have questions, check out our Getting Help from the HubPages Community Forum.