An Overview of Making Money on HubPages
A Broad Overview
The Big Picture
Since HubPages launched in 2006, we have developed a time-tested way to help writers make money from their hobbies. We want to help you turn the thing you love to do (writing and sharing your knowledge) into something that can earn you a little money on the side while having fun and making friends along the way.
Please keep in mind that HubPages is, first and foremost, a community for people who love to write, share information, and help others. Making a bit of extra money is a nice bonus, but it should not be your primary motivation. In other words, writing on HubPages works best as an enjoyable hobby and should not be mistaken for an alternative to employment or an income source that will fully support you.
We'd never want to mislead new writers; that's not who we are. HubPages is not a place to get rich quick! You are not likely to see significant earnings from your articles for up to two years (and that's two years spent writing high quality articles on HubPages). When you do begin to see regular payouts, they are likely to be in a range of $50 to $100 a month.
Authors who earn hundreds or thousands of dollars per month are very rare and have put superhuman amounts of work into their online portfolios. For most, HubPages can be a fun side income.
In short, if you came to HubPages to make tons of money very quickly, we're afraid you've come to the wrong place. But if you love to write, are passionate about your hobbies and interests, and consider helping others to be very rewarding, HubPages is absolutely the place for you!
We'll Be Frank...
HubPages is not:
- A place to get rich quick
- A place where you will earn money without putting in much effort
- A place to write articles and share information on your interests and hobbies
- A place where, over time, you can earn a passive income by sharing your knowledge and expertise
How it Works
- You publish articles offer useful or interesting information to readers on subjects you care about
- You sign up with our monetization partners
- People read your articles and occasionally click on ads
- You earn a percentage of the revenue generated by those ads (and HubPages earns some to keep the site running)
- Your earnings accrue until you reach HubPages' and our affiliate programs' payout thresholds
- You receive your earnings via PayPal
An 8-Step Overview
- A new writer joins HubPages.
- Our writer joins ad programs of her choice, such as Google AdSense, the HubPages Ad Program, and the HubPages Amazon Program. Joining these programs is what allows our writer to generate earnings.
- Now it's time for her to do what she loves; write! You can write about almost anything you want on HubPages as long as it's written in English and isn't offensive or spammy (please read what is allowed for further clarification). A writer who knows a lot about surfing might write about surfing. Parents or professionals may share their best parenting or workplace advice. You're probably already an expert at more things than you realize! Of course, a little bit of research is always a good idea too.
- Once our writer chooses a topic and researches it, she then writes an article and fills it with interesting and helpful content including text, links, images, videos, and other media where appropriate. Our writing interface, the HubTool, makes creating articles easy.
- Publishing is the next step after writing an article. If the article passes the Quality Assessment Process and becomes Featured, it will also be made available to search engines and have a chance to be accepted onto one of our Network Sites.
- Next, readers see the ads and products that are placed on published articles and the author can earn money from these ads.
- As the article gets more readers over time, it will continue to earn money for its author. The more visitors an article gets, the more money that author stands to earn from ads.
- Our author then publishes more articles (and occasionally updates her older articles to make sure they stay current and correct) and continues to make money as they are read.
Writing lots of articles is the key to making money on HubPages. Remember, the most successful pieces are well written, informative, and useful to readers.
HubPages' Monetization Partners
Articles may be monetized by several premium ad and affiliate partners: Google AdSense, Amazon Associates, the HubPages Ad Program, and the HubPages Amazon Program.
One of HubPages' ad partners is Google AdSense. On HubPages, ads are placed on every articles (except for those that have ads turned off). You will recognize Google AdSense ads because they will be labeled. Google AdSense ads may be Pay Per Click (PPC) ads (if someone clicks on an ad, either you or HubPages may be paid from that click) or display ads (if someone simply views the ad, either you or HubPages may be paid from that view). If you haven't signed up for Google AdSense, we recommend signing up so you can begin earning on HubPages. You can also visit the Google AdSense Help Center for more information on AdSense and how it works.
Google AdSense is required in order to participate in the HubPages Ad Program and the HubPages Amazon Program, but you can still earn without it using your own Amazon Associate ID.
Amazon Associates and the HubPages Amazon Program
There are two ways to earn from Amazon products featured in your articles: Amazon Associates and the HubPages Amazon Program. To earn, your preferred Amazon program must be active in your Earnings Settings and you must feature Amazon products in your articles through the use of Amazon Capsules, or direct links in Text Capsules.
The main differences between the two programs:
- With Amazon Associates, your relationship is with Amazon, and Amazon will provide reporting and issue payments to you. With the HubPages Amazon Program, your relationship is with HubPages, and HubPages will provide reporting and issue payments to you as part of the HubPages Earnings Program.
- The HubPages Amazon Program offers a very high Amazon commission tier because the volume of sales across HubPages is aggregated for the benefit of the entire community. Because of this, most Hubbers will earn more via the Amazon Program than they would on their own using Amazon Associates.
- You will be paid via PayPal if you use the HubPages Amazon Program (as with any other program available through HEP) whereas Amazon Associates issues payments via check.
If a clicking visitor purchases qualifying products on your share of the impressions you make 100% of the commission.
The HubPages Ad Program
The HubPages Ad Program is a great way to earn from your HubPages traffic. The Ad Program provides an optimized mix of premium ads from multiple ad partners to run alongside your ads and Amazon Capsules on your articles.
How the Ad Program Works
In the usual Google AdSense arrangement, you’re given four ad units, and one link unit. If you opt in to the Ad Program, you will have up to a total of eight ads on desktop:
- one standard AdSense ad unit that is served and paid directly to you by Google
- and seven standard ads (Ad Program)
If you are part of the Ad Program, you will be paid by Google AdSense for one of the ads and by the HubPages Earnings Program for the other seven ads.
What kind of earnings can you expect?
Many Hubbers in the Ad Program see significant increases in their combined revenue (Ad Program + Google AdSense) compared to what they earn from Google AdSense alone. While you will likely experience a drop in Google AdSense earnings if you opt into the Ad Program, most participating Hubbers will see an increase in total earnings.
What kind of ads will you see in the Ad Program?
The Ad Program draws from a number of high-quality ad networks, including Google, many of which are exclusive and only work with the largest publishers.
How will payment work?
We provide you with a managed service which includes ad performance reporting, and a monthly payment via the HubPages Earnings Program.
Revenue Split with HubPages
For more information on how the revenue is split with HubPages, please see our FAQ entry.