How to Augment Success with Self Optimization
Once you have been on HubPages for six months, we recommend engaging in a bit of self optimization. Having spent six months regularly publishing Hubs, you should have a sizable online portfolio of articles and can gain some helpful insights by analyzing their performance.
Though it sometimes takes months (or even years) for some online articles to gain traction and enjoy significant traffic, you should already be able to identify some Hubs that are performing better than others.
We encourage you to utilize an analysis of your successful Hubs to self optimize. Self-optimization is the process of creating new Hubs that utilize common characteristics found across already-published Hubs that are successful. Basically, self-optimization involves asking the following questions:
- Which of my Hubs are more successful than the rest?
- What characteristics do they have in common?
- How can I build these characteristics into the next Hubs I publish?
Identifying Successful Hubs
To find your most successful Hubs, go to My Account > Statistics and sort your Hubs by page views within the past 30 days so that the highest numbers are at the top (you can sort columns on the Statistics Page by clicking at the top of a column).
Generally speaking, a truly successful Hub sees over 100 pageviews per day, but if your Hubs are relatively new, you might not yet see such high figures. If this is the case, just have a look at the top five or so Hubs in your account.
Reviewing Successful Hubs
Identifying Common Characteristics
Once you have established which of your Hubs see over 100 page views every day (or have the highest number of page views over the past 30 days), it is time to look for common characteristics that may have contributed to their success.
When Hubbers find trends among their successful Hubs, they most often are related to:
- Underserved keywords: For example, a Hubber’s most successful Hubs might all be about fixing antique cuckoo clocks; a subject that sees a sizable amount of search traffic but has not yet been adequately addressed online.
- Specific formats: A Hubber may discover that his top Hubs are all “Top Ten” Hubs presented in list form (which turns out to be very popular amongst searchers)
- A particular Hub-making process: Hubbers often create different types of Hubs for different reasons; some are the result of careful keyword research while others are inspired by Questions or other Hubbers, and still more are just created for fun. Quite often, Hubbers discover that Hubs created using one particular process tend to perform better than others.
- Common features: Some Hubbers discover that, while their most successful Hubs cover a wide range of topics, one thing they do have in common is a specific set of features. For example, one might discover that all one’s successful Hubs feature a lot of photos and have Table Capsules and polls.
Optimizing New Hubs
Once you have identified common characteristics that span across your most successful Hubs, it is time to build these best practices into new Hubs. If your highest traffic online articles are all on the same subject, consider writing more Hubs on that subject. If your best Hubs all utilize similar formats or types of Capsules, make a point of regularly utilizing those optimal formats. Should you notice that your most successful Hubs were made using a particular approach, use that approach as much as possible when drafting new Hubs.
What did you find?
What common characteristics do your most successful Hubs share?See results without voting
Tip: You Can Learn from Failures, Too!
Just as you may discover some common characteristics amongst successful Hubs, you may also find shared traits amongst Hubs that get no traffic. In addition to working on incorporating best practices into your work, we recommend identifying what doesn't seem to work well- and avoiding it!
Optimizing Existing Hubs
In addition to identifying and replicating aspects of your most successful Hubs, it is a good idea to give your most successful articles additional care and attention. Make sure they are up to date, give them the best possible images and capsules, make sure they have custom summaries, and edit them to remove any typos.
If a Hub is already seeing moderate success, there is a good chance that it will enjoy even more traffic and attention if it is given a little more polish.
The Importance of Active Review
As was mentioned earlier in this guide, some Hubs do not begin to see significant traffic figures until they have been published for several months, hence it is worthwhile to regularly check one’s Statistics page to see if there are any new successes to spruce up and learn from.
Self-optimization is a dynamic, slowly-evolving process that requires vigilance and diligence, but is the foundation of sustained success for the vast majority of our most prolific and profitable Hubbers.
More by this Author
Do you want to give your Hub the best possible chance of seeing significant traffic? Be sure to include the eight different features outlined here.
The best titles are short and descriptive. They should be on subjects you're passionate about that are not already extensively covered online.
The official HubPages guide to creating an Amazon Associate account.